Have you ever wondered what professional hunters use in the spring turkey woods? In this four-article series, we’ll sit down with four full-time turkey hunters to get a look at the gear, gadgets and other accessories that they love to pack for any hunt. Check it out—you might just find something to add to your packing list.
Chris Parrish has more than 30 years of hunting and competitive calling experience. He is a three-time World Turkey Calling Champion and two-time Grand National Champion. Chris currently works full time designing and manufacturing game calls for Knight & Hale. As an outdoor celebrity, his resume contains a very long list of other calling titles, TV appearances and other great accomplishments.
Here’s the turkey hunting gear that Chris routinely packs, along with some of his personal notes about the products:
1. Mossy Oak Super Elite Turkey Vest: Being patient delivers more success in the field. This vest is nice and comfortable. Its seat is great for long sits.
2. Browning Hell’s Canyon Full Throttle Apparel: This jacket and pant set are great for cooler weather in the early season. For camo, I like the Mossy Oak Breakup Infinity pattern.
3. Browning Hi Power Flashlight: This little light is my absolute favorite. It’s ultra bright and always reliable.
4. ThermaCELL Insect Repellent Device: I’ve hunted in more than 30 states, and I can tell you one thing with certainty: Bugs are everywhere! That said, a ThermaCELL and holster are always on my packing list. I also pack plenty of refills.
5. Knight & Hale Call Conditioning Tool: To make certain my pot-and-peg friction calls are all in top condition, I always pack this tool. It also houses chalk for you box call.
6. Pure Gold Choke Tube: My Browning Maxus shotgun has a Pure Gold Tempest choke tube screwed in. After 3 decades of turkey hunting, I can tell you that this is the deadliest combo I’ve ever shot.
7. Knight & Hale White Liar Pot Call: This pot call has a ceramic calling surface that can rock loud calling when needed, but it also softens down to seduce wary toms.