Have you ever wondered what professional hunters use in the spring turkey woods? In this four-article series, we’ll sit down with four full-time turkey hunters to get a look at the gear, gadgets and other accessories that they love to pack for any hunt. Check it out—you might just find something to add to your packing list.
Alex Rutledge is one of outdoor television’s favorite personalities. Alex spent 24 years of his 30-year hunting career with Hunter’s Specialties, making hunting videos, helping with product design and teaching hunting seminars. Today, he’s a hunting guide, radio show host, and the lead TV host and product spokesperson for “Bloodline” on the Pursuit Channel. He’s also the youngest inductee to the Legends of the Outdoors National Hall of Fame.
Here’s the turkey hunting gear that Alex routinely packs, along with some of his personal notes about the products:
1. Montana Decoys: I like these wire-framed decoys. They’re made from high-resolution photographs of real turkeys, so they’re very realistic and they fold up small like a slinky.
2. Bloodline Mouth Call 3-Pack: The mouth calls in this versatile variety pack are made with thin latex and are easy to blow. They all sound authentic––from high to low and from loud to soft. My favorite is the Coma Series C3.
3. Strut & Rut Energy Shot: Hunting, especially when filming for TV, gets me rundown and tired. I slam down a quick pomegranate energy shot when I need to get focused.
4. Adventure Medical Kit’s Survival Medic: This compact survival and first aid kit comes in an ultralight waterproof pouch. I have learned, time and time again, that it pays to have one of these in your turkey vest at all times.
5. Hunter’s Specialties Turkey Targets: I always check that my Thompson Center 20 gauge shotgun is dead on by shooting one of these targets prior to every hunt.
6. Skoal Original Fine Cut Wintergeen: I don’t encourage any minors to chew tobacco, but I always keep it real. When on the hunt, I have a tin of this in my pocket.
7. Mossy Oak Ball Cap: I like to wear a ball cap to keep the sun out of my eyes. I especially like the high-definition Infinity pattern.