Right now any centerfire rifle is legal, any rimfire .25 cal or larger. If you have a black powder rifle anything 38 cal or larger. The reason it's 38 cal., a 45 cal using sabots looads with a 38 cal pistol bullet. The new hunting regs. comes out July 1. Get a copy and look inside front cover for "Changes". Rumore has it the minimun centerfire caliber for deer MAY change this year.
Even though a centerfire .17 ca. is currently legal, I'd be wary about going that small.
The following was taken directly from the WV Regs.
Firearms/Bows and Equipment
It is illegal to hunt deer with:
- a shotgun using ammunition loaded with more than one solid ball, or a rifle using rimfire ammunition of less than .25 caliber.
- a fully automatic rifle, shotgun or handgun.
- a handgun using a straight-walled case of less than .357 magnum cartridge or a bottle-necked case of less than .24 caliber.
- a muzzleloader of less than .38 caliber during the muzzleloader deer season.
- both a gun and a bow or with a gun and any arrows, except that persons having a concealed weapons permit may carry a concealed handgun for self-defense only.
- a crossbow, except for the holder of a Class Y or Class YY permit, during designated archery seasons. Crossbows must have:
- a draw weight of at least 125 pounds.
- a working safety.
- bolts at least 18 inches long.
- broadheads with at least two edges at least ¾ inch in width.
- a bow with arrows having less than two sharp cutting edges, measuring less than ¾ inch in width.
- a bow locking device, except with a modified bow permit issued by the Director.
- an arrow with an explosive, drug-laced or poisoned head or shaft.
- anything other than a bow or single-shot muzzleloader on Green Bottom WMA, except that the holder of Class Y or YY permit may hunt with a crossbow during designated archery seasons.
- an electronic call.