TGJ, I have had it running, but still have some work to do too get it functioning.
The guy I bought it from had rebuilt the carb before it came up for auction. He didn't realize that rust had accumulated in the fuel tank, and when he poured gas in the tank it washed the rust into the rebuilt carb.
He then tried to get it running using a small auxiliary lawn mower tank, but to no avail.
When I got it home I took the carb apart, and cleaned it up. Then, as said, I did get it running using the auxiliary tank. I have to admit that I was very pleased with how well it ran.
I had talked to the owner before I had bid on it, and judged him to be of good character, so I took the chance, and bid on the machine. Having been burned before, when I got it home I still wasn't 100% sure that I hadn't just been taken again. Thus far I'm happy with my decision.
One thing I wasn't happy about was the condition of the oil. I didn't want to layout the money for a change before I knew whether or not I had a runner. When I took the filter off I had to use a screwdriver to scrape the sludge out of the base. Also the drained oil stained me like India ink. I decided to take the extra step, and pulled the oil pan. I'm glad I did, as there was a 1/4 inch of sludge on the bottom of it.
I then got called back to work, and was getting plenty of OT. Because of a huge new order, when the weather went bad they pulled us out of the field, and started the afternoon shift at the plant up again. Thus my late/early post.
At this point I still haven't put the pan back in place. When I get that done I'll have to move the machine before I flush the fuel tank. Right now it's only about 20 feet from our well. I also intend to check the points, and replace the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires. Then I'll go for the tranny, and hydraulic oils.
So it's still a work in progress. Which is probably a good thing at this point. Between the rain we've received, and the frost still coming out, chances are that if I did have it in running order I would have been stuck...err...Delayed buy now