Friday, May 18, 2012 11:33 AM
Let me start by saying that I have no desire to shoot any animal (big or small) in a “canned” situation. This type of hunting is simply not for me. However, let me bring a few points to everyone’s attention:
1. I do not believe we are “playing God”. In fact, “…God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” – Genesis 1:26
2. Being a Republican, a hunter, and a capitalist, I do not want the Government (State or Federal) telling me what I can or can’t do. I realize they have a fiduciary duty to us to protect the wildlife, but they should not be able to tell us how or when we can make money.
3. As I mentioned, “canned” hunting is not for me. But, if you can sell a whitetail for $20,000 to some city slicker that has no idea what hunting is, then more power to you. That is the definition of capitalism.
4. Not all high-fenced or genetically superior hunts are “canned”. I have hunted on very large estates where the animals are free to roam, and are often times more “wild” because of the hunting pressure.
5. Finally, as a hunter/outdoorsman, I feel we need to band together, and support each other in every aspect. There are too many antis out there. We can’t afford to fight amongst ourselves.